Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Columbus, OH
As a Columbus, OH motorcycle accident lawyer from Brenner Law Offices understands, insurance companies are almost always against a motorcycle rider when a claim comes up. When you see or hear an insurance commercial, you may be sucked into the idea that they care about the individual. They may say that everyone gets into an accident and that it’s not a big deal. They get it. They spend a lot of money on making their commercials funny, catchy, or tug on your heartstrings. However, when it comes to protecting motorcycle riders, they have preconceived notions that play out when you are ready to file your accident claim. You may notice this whether you are speaking to your own insurance company or another party’s insurance company. When you have a claim to file after a motorcycle accident, reach out to our office to see how we can help you.
Why do insurance companies do this?
Motorcycle riders have a certain stereotype: Beer-chugging, leather jacket-wearing people who ride too fast. However, insurance companies rarely care about learning the facts of a case, just how they can twist the facts to fit their agenda for giving out low settlements.
What makes motorcyclists at risk?
Your Columbus motorcycle accident lawyer knows that motorcycle riders are extremely at risk on the road. Even in the best-case scenario, you may have been wearing protective clothing and your helmet. However, you are still completely unprotected when it comes to a car or other vehicle T-boning you, rear-ending you, or hitting you head-on. There are no built-in safety features that you can rely on and this often leads to motorcyclists getting seriously injured.
The insurance company is trying to blame me for the accident. What can I do?
It is not uncommon for insurance companies to point the finger at motorcycle riders. Even police officers who are at the scene of the accident and writing a police report may automatically have the wrong impression of what took place when the victim is a motorcycle rider. With preconceived notions like this, it can lead to faulty reporting and it can discourage police officers from doing the right amount of digging into the case.
What can I do when I have been in a motorcycle accident?
Always save evidence. You should not assume that anyone else at the scene of the accident will take pictures, tell an accurate story, or ask the right questions. Assume that you will be your best advocate. Once you do this, you should go to a lawyer who will protect your rights and fight for your compensation. You should feel that your lawyer will accurately represent you and will skillfully negotiate with the insurance company so that you are not stuck with a settlement offer that doesn’t even touch how high your medical bills are.
When you are ready to file a claim for your motorcycle injuries, reach out to a team you can trust. Call Brenner Law Offices to see how our Columbus motorcycle accident lawyer can help you with your claim.
How Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Help
If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash, you may want to consult a Columbus, OH motorcycle accident lawyer from Brenner Law Offices. You deserve justice. Here are some key qualities of reputable motorcycle accident lawyers.
Motorcycle accident lawyers are attorneys with specialized knowledge and experience in handling cases involving motorcycle collisions. Their in-depth understanding of traffic laws, insurance policies, and accident investigation techniques equips them to navigate complex legal challenges effectively.
Advocacy and Support
Dealing with the aftermath of a motorcycle accident can be overwhelming, both physically and emotionally. A motorcycle accident lawyer acts as your advocate, providing much-needed support during this difficult time. They handle communication with insurance companies, other involved parties, and legal representatives, so you can focus on recovery.
Investigation and Evidence
An essential aspect of any motorcycle accident case is gathering evidence to establish fault and liability. Motorcycle accident lawyers have the resources to conduct comprehensive investigations, including examining the accident scene, reviewing police reports, and gathering witness testimonies. They ensure no crucial detail is overlooked.
Determining liability in motorcycle accidents can be difficult due to biases against riders. However, a Columbus motorcycle accident lawyer can build a strong case by reconstructing the accident, identifying negligent parties, and using expert testimony to support your claim.
Negotiating with Insurance Companies
Insurance companies may try to minimize payouts to accident victims. Having a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer on your side ensures that you are not taken advantage of during settlement negotiations. They can counter lowball offers and fight for a fair and just compensation package.
Medical Records and Documentation
Proving the extent of injuries and related damages is crucial for a successful claim. Motorcycle accident lawyers work with medical professionals to obtain accurate medical records, diagnostic reports, and future treatment plans, bolstering your case for maximum compensation.
Understanding Comparative Fault
Comparative fault may apply in certain states, which reduces the compensation based on the degree of each party’s fault. A skilled lawyer can navigate these complexities and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve, even if you are partially at fault.
While most motorcycle accident cases are settled out of court, some may require litigation. A motorcycle accident lawyer with trial experience can confidently represent your interests in court, presenting a compelling case to a judge and jury.
No Upfront Costs
One of the main benefits of hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer is that they typically work on a contingency fee basis. This means you don’t pay any upfront fees, and they only get paid if they successfully secure compensation for you.
Statute of Limitations
It is important to file a motorcycle accident claim on time, as there are deadlines. A motorcycle accident lawyer can ensure all necessary paperwork is filed promptly, preventing your case from being time-barred.
Experience in Settlement Negotiations
Motorcycle accident lawyers have extensive experience in negotiating settlements. They understand how to assess the full value of your case and use that knowledge to secure a fair settlement offer.
Schedule a consultation with a Columbus motorcycle accident lawyer from Brenner Law Offices
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
Motorcycle accidents can occur for a variety of reasons, often involving a combination of factors that lead to collisions or other incidents involving motorcycles. Due to the relatively smaller size and reduced protection compared to cars, motorcycles are more vulnerable on the road, making it crucial for riders and drivers alike to be aware of common causes and take preventive measures. If you have been involved in this type of accident then reach out to Brenner Law Offices today to speak with a Columbus motorcycle accident lawyer. Here are some common ways in which motorcycle accidents happen:
- Vehicle Visibility Issues: One of the most significant factors contributing to motorcycle accidents is the lack of visibility. Motorcycles are smaller and less conspicuous than cars, making them harder for other drivers to spot, especially in blind spots or during poor weather conditions. Inadequate checking before changing lanes, merging, or making turns can lead to collisions.
- Distracted Driving: Drivers who engage in distractions such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, or adjusting the radio are less likely to notice motorcyclists sharing the road. A momentary distraction can result in a failure to yield right of way, rear-end collisions, or swerving into a motorcycle’s path.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting, where motorcyclists ride between lanes of slow-moving or stopped traffic, is a common cause of accidents. Drivers may not expect a motorcycle to be passing between lanes and might make sudden movements without considering the motorcyclist’s presence.
- Speeding: Speeding reduces the amount of time a driver has to react to unexpected situations, increasing the risk of collisions. Speeding motorcyclists might have difficulty controlling their bikes during sudden maneuvers, leading to accidents.
- Riding Under the Influence: Just like with other vehicles, riding a motorcycle under the influence of alcohol or drugs impairs a rider’s judgment, coordination, and reaction times, leading to a higher risk of accidents.
- Inexperienced Riders: Inexperienced motorcyclists may lack the skills to handle challenging road conditions, such as sharp turns, sudden stops, or adverse weather. This lack of experience can result in losing control of the motorcycle and causing accidents.
- Road Hazards: Uneven road surfaces, debris, potholes, gravel, or oil spills can pose significant dangers to motorcyclists. Motorcycles are less stable than four-wheeled vehicles, making it more challenging for riders to navigate these hazards safely.
- Left-Turn Collisions: Many motorcycle accidents occur when a vehicle making a left turn at an intersection fails to yield the right of way to an oncoming motorcycle. The driver might misjudge the speed of the motorcycle or fail to notice it altogether.
- Sudden Stops: Motorcycles have a shorter stopping distance than cars, and drivers who follow motorcycles too closely may not have enough time to react if the motorcyclist suddenly stops. This can lead to rear-end collisions.
- Weather Conditions: Rain, snow, and other adverse weather conditions can make roads slippery and reduce visibility, increasing the risk of accidents. Motorcycles are particularly vulnerable in wet or icy conditions due to their reduced traction.
- Mechanical Failures: Malfunctions in a motorcycle’s brakes, tires, or other essential components can lead to loss of control and accidents. Regular maintenance and thorough pre-ride inspections are crucial to prevent these types of accidents.
- Aggressive Driving: Aggressive driving behaviors, such as tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and road rage, can put motorcyclists at risk. Aggressive drivers might not give motorcyclists the necessary space or respect on the road.
Understanding the common causes of motorcycle accidents can help both riders and drivers be more cautious and aware on the road. Motorcyclists should prioritize wearing proper safety gear, undergo motorcycle training, and follow traffic rules diligently. Drivers of other vehicles should be attentive, check blind spots, and provide motorcyclists with enough space and respect to ensure safe coexistence on the road. For assistance with the legal aftermath of an accident reach out to a Columbus motorcycle accident lawyer from Brenner Law Offices today.
How do I start the motorcycle accident claim process?
The claims process consists of several steps, as you can learn from a Columbus motorcycle accident lawyer. First, prioritize safety for everyone involved. Then, gather essential information such as names, contact details, insurance information, and capture clear photos of the accident scene, including vehicle positions and damages. It’s vital to report the incident to the police, as their official report can be invaluable in establishing the facts. If there are injuries, seeking immediate medical attention is crucial both for your well-being and for documentation. Lastly, promptly notify your insurance company with all the collected information. This timely action will set the claims process in motion and enable them to assess the situation accurately, expediting your claim resolution.
What steps can enhance my motorcycle accident claim’s success?
If you hope to improve your chances of success, you must be strategic about your actions. Detail is paramount—maintain a comprehensive record of medical treatments, expenses, and any correspondence pertaining to the accident. Preserve tangible evidence, such as damaged clothing, protective gear, and your motorcycle itself, as they can reinforce your claim. If possible, obtain statements from witnesses who observed the incident. Exercise caution in discussing the accident on social media platforms and avoid admitting fault. Enlisting the expertise of a seasoned attorney familiar with personal injury claims can offer invaluable guidance through the intricate legal processes, ensuring that you receive the rightful compensation you deserve.
How is fault determined in a motorcycle accident claim?
Determining fault in a motorcycle accident claim is a meticulous process involving multiple factors. Investigators analyze traffic laws, gather eyewitness accounts, assess physical evidence, and consult expert opinions. Both parties’ actions will be closely scrutinized to determine who is negligent. Comparative negligence laws might come into play, potentially affecting the compensation based on the degree of responsibility each party holds. For a comprehensive understanding of local laws and to build a strong case, it’s recommended to consult a legal professional with experience in handling motorcycle accident claims.
What types of compensation can I seek in a motorcycle accident claim?
A motorcycle accident claim encompasses various categories of compensation to address multifaceted damages. Medical expenses, including bills, treatments, and ongoing therapies, are typically covered. Damages to property, such as repair or replacement of your motorcycle, are also included. You may also be able to seek compensation for any lost wages during your recovery period. Non-economic damages like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of quality of life are factors considered as well. An attorney specializing in personal injury claims can guide you in identifying the specific compensation types relevant to your situation and help you pursue a comprehensive settlement that accounts for the full spectrum of your losses.
Should I accept the initial settlement offer from the insurance company?
When faced with an initial settlement offer from an insurance company following a motorcycle accident, it’s wise to exercise caution. This offer might not fully reflect the actual value of your claim, as insurers may aim to minimize payouts. Thoroughly evaluate the offer, taking into account the extent of your injuries, medical expenses, property damage, and other related losses. Seeking advice from legal counsel is advisable before making a decision. Skilled attorneys can help you assess the fairness of the offer, negotiate on your behalf, and ensure that you’re pursuing a settlement that accurately addresses the entirety of your damages, ensuring a just resolution. If you need more information about setting up a claim contact a Columbus motorcycle accident lawyer from Brenner Law Offices near you for more information.
"I've known Todd for many years. He has always provided me with excellent advice and counsel. I can say without reservation that I'd trust him with any legal matter."